January 3, 2014

Getting organized and productivity tips

Tools and tricks to help you save time and get organized


Your trading platform

Obvious one. You need to master it, using a demo account first. What tool use use depends on your broker, which is an important and your own choice.

GadWin Printscreen

GadWin is a freeware tool for screen capture (for Windows). Choose PNG as file type. You can capture full screen or a rectangle area, and you can capture to clipboard or directly to file.  I use it to capture a chart for my trading journal, before and after the trade.

Trading journal spreadsheet

You can use Libreoffice, google docs or any other spreadsheet tool. Whatever you choose, you need a spreadsheet to record all your trades, the trading journal. In there you put each trade, market, chart, reasons why you entered, how you closed the trade, learnings, result. (Trading journal itself is worth another post)

My fx book

myfxbook.com is a great tool to analyze your trading results! You can also, optionally, share your performance with others to get feedback and inputs.

Box.com or dropbox or alike

Use cloud based on-line drive to backup your key files, such as trading journal, and synchronize them and use from any location any PC or even mobile device (e.g. from home, from office, on the go).

Freemind

I use Freemind mind mapping tool for many purposes. I recommend. I have my trading plan there, my all kinds of notes, reminders, passwords (encrypted note), to do lists and more.

TrueCrypt

I use TrueCrypt file encrypted volume to store the most sensitive files.

Google keep

I use Google keep to capture quick notes, on any PC or mobile, accessible everywhere, quick and easy. Even off-line with Android app.

Ad Block plus

I use Ad Block plus for Chrome to block annoying ads. Fantastic tool. I wish I discovered it earlier.  Usually blog owners do not talk about ad blockers becasue they make money with ads on the blog. This blog is different ;-) 

Ghostery

Another nice Chrome extension, called Ghostery, tells you (and optionally blocks) what trackers, etc. are fired on a site you visit (e.g. on this one you'd see google analytics, compare to other sites to see how many ghost scripts are running)

All tools mentioned above are free, according to what I know, at a time of writing this. 

No comments: